12 days 'til opening day!
- Greetings from the press box at Fraser Field. In about 30 minutes, day two of the Clancy tournament will get underway when Classical and English square off in the consolation game. North Reading and St. Mary's play for the title at 4:00. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for children under 12.
- Things are starting to come together at the ballpark. The new scoreboard in right centerfield is complete. It's a black scoreboard with white text, similar to the football scoreboard at Manning Field. Three sponsor banners now adorn the outfield fence: Equitable Bank, Old Neighborhood Foods, and Willow Labs. A "Home of the North Shore Navigators" sign is now hanging behind section G. The ticket booths are set up, some of the concession stands are out to sell sandwiches, sodas, and ice cream, and the grounds crew has the field looking spectacular. In short, baseball is in the air.
- One of the big changes at the park this year is that the former owner's box behind section G is now a beer stand, with openings facing both the concourse and the field. No beer is being sold at the Clancy Tournament, but the stand will be ready to go for Opening night on June 7.
- I'm currently working on a story to send out to the local media introducing the NECBL. I'm lining up my interviews and contacts now – I hope that it will serve as a useful intro to one of the best collegiate summer leagues in America.
- We're also working on the promotional schedule for this season. Current ideas either confirmed or rumored include 1,000 Chick-Fil-A sandwich night on opening night, and "Ugliest Sweater Night" at some point during the summer. We also may be lining up a few bands to provide pre-game entertainment.
- Trinity College is off today, as they await one of Adrian, Wis.-Whitewater, or Johns Hopkins to emerge from the loser's bracket to face them tomorrow for the D3 National Championship.