Saturday, June 28, 2008

Life with Jimmy Lisowski: Honey mustard wings, Angelina Jolie, and Democrats

Joe Jasinski, Navigators Sports Information Department

Over the remaining weeks of the season, the Sports Information Department is going to run a series of Q&A's with members of the Navigators (players, coaches, staff, fans, etc.) to allow our fans to become more familiar with the people they cheer on each night at Fraser Field.

Hailing from Springfield College, southpaw Jimmy Lisowski (0-0, 0.77 ERA, 10 K, 2 GS) was kind enough to sit down to chat with us about politics, women, food, and of course, the Navs. Here's what he had to say...


If you could meet any person in history, who would it be?

"I’d probably go with Sandy Koufax. He’s just someone I kind of looked up to, being a lefty. I’ve got a couple of his books, and I definitely liked how he threw, and you know, lefties have got to stick together."

If you were stranded on an island, and could only hold onto four movies from your collection, which would you choose? (Lisowski has a collection of about 180 movies)

"I know my first one, The Sandlot. For my number two, probably The Departed. Let’s see, what else…We’ll stick with those two right now. I’ll just watch those over and over."

It’s 2 a.m. at Springfield College and you’re practically starving. Where do you go to fix the craving?

"Oh, you have got to get Wings…Wings Over Springfield. It’s a wing chain that has the best wings, like…ever. Honey Mustard is where I’m at. I’m usually good for about 10 to 15 if they’re boneless wings. They’re nice big boneless wings, and free delivery, too, so it’s a no-brainer."

How would you describe this team’s identity?

"I’d say we’re a bunch of hard-nosed players. That’s kind of the best phrase to describe it. A lot of these guys aren’t from huge Division I schools. I know that’s kind of been the mentality to get guys who have been at smaller schools but have played frequently and have played on college-level teams. I know a lot of teams in this league pick the Division I players who are kind of on the lower end, but these are all hard-working guys, they all know what we’re here to do, and we’ve all got the same mindset: we’re here to win a championship, we’re here to all get better, and we’re all here to be seen."

What’s been your favorite road stop so far?

"I’m going to go with either Keene or Newport. I like [Cardines Field in] Newport because of the atmosphere, and just kind of the location of Newport, the old-fashion field with dugouts on the same side, and with the dimensions."

One of the best parts about a summer league like the NECBL is you’ve got players coming from all across the country. Who gets picked on the most?

"I would have to say, the group of lefties are getting hassled the most, for uh…just being lefties. I know [Ryan] Krull has been hearing it a lot, and I know [Jason] Markowitz is. I’m hearing it a little bit, too. The Southern boys, with their accents, are getting mocked here and there, and then they’re giving it back with the Boston accent. It’s going back and forth so it’s really fun to watch."

Any superstitions?

"I actually don’t do anything out of the norm; no food superstitions, nothing to wear. When I come into the dugout in between innings I like to talk to my teammates, I don’t really like to sit there in silence. Some people say 'Oh, leave him alone, he’s all on his own,' I’m just like everyone else, no real superstitions, I just go out there.”

Who would you say is your "dream girl"?

"I would have to say Angelina Jolie. I think she is, uh…a very nice lady."

What is your favorite sports moment (excluding baseball)?

"When I was younger, I was in the [NFL’s] Punt, Pass & Kick competition. I made it to the state finals and finish in third place in the state of Massachusetts. I went to Foxboro Stadium, got to go out on the field at halftime, did a little mock presentation because the actual competition was already over…I didn’t throw it too far, I was kind of small back then, but I kicked it pretty far."

Who are you voting for in the ’08 Presidential Election?

"Barrack Obama. I’ve been leaning toward the Democrats every since [President George W.] Bush took office. His philosophies have kind of swayed me against Republicans and what they’re all about. So as of right now, Obama, but you know, things can change."

You’re in charge of writing the script for the end of this Navigator season…what happens?

"Probably what everyone else would say, hopefully: we finish it out, continue on a run here, win the league title in the regular season and go on through the playoffs and win the whole thing…I don’t know who we’re going to face. Maybe we’ll face Newport, they seem like the team to beat in the other division…Hopefully sweep them in two games, both pitchers will put up nine inning shutouts."

7 comments:

Joe Grav said...

Great interview, Jas. You have set the gold standard for these. Let's hope I don't screw mine up.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading about the Navs and this article was no different. Thanks for taking the time to do these focus articles on the guys. One question you could have asked, maybe two, was "What is your desire?" or what would you be doing if a Baseball future is not in the cards?". Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

"I would have to say Angelina Jolie. I think she is, uh…a very nice lady."

Wow......what a loser.





jk Jimmy, nice interview. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Anonymous said...

I like these interviews but adding a picture of each player would make it even better!!!!

Joe Grav said...

Thanks for the suggestions on the questions and the photos.

We'll incorporate them into future interviews.

JG

Anonymous said...

jimmy jimmy....for someone who has 180 movies he never watches them/never lets anyone borrow them :(

Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy......Angelina Jolie? I thought I was your favorite. Love, JESSICA RABBIT

Visitor map