Sunday, July 13, 2008

Meet Kyle Geason

Kyle Geason, the Navs' slick fielding third baseman, is the latest member of the team to chat with us as part of the "Know Your Navs" series.
*


This team has an interesting mixture of personalities, with New Englanders, West Coast guys, Southerners. What’s that clubhouse atmosphere been like for a guy from Minnesota?

It’s been a lot of fun. I haven’t played with guys from New England, Tennessee, California – so it’s good to get a good mix of people, and learn about their culture. It’s been great.

Does the New England summer seem really hot to you?

It’s not really tropical or anything. We get warm summers back home in Minnesota. It’s just the winters that are crazy. I like the weather so far.

What’s something about the University of Minnesota that most people from out of state wouldn’t know?

Hmm… this is a tough one. Our mascot is “Goldy,” the Gopher. I don’t know …

Come on… Graham had three for Trinity College right off the bat.

Really?

Alright, we’ll pass on that one. You redshirted this year, and it seemed to impact you at the start of the year. But you’ve really come on strong as of late. In what ways do you feel that redshirting impacted you, and do you feel like you’re starting to get back into the swing of things?

I’m glad I redshirted. We had a lot of seniors that were in the positions I was looking to play at. Redshirting gave me a year to develop, work in the weight room, and learn more about the school and the program. It was a good experience.

It’s 2 AM in Minneapolis and you’re starving. Where do you go to get your fill?

Taco Bell. I’m a big Taco Bell guy, especially at late night. I love fourthmeal.

Favorite road trip so far this year?

Hmm… I’d say probably either Keene or Vermont. I’ll say Keene because of the huge crowd. But Vermont has a good atmosphere and great fan support.

What’s it been like to travel around New England and see the character of some of the towns in the NECBL?

I’ve really liked it. I didn’t know what It was going to be like out here, so it’s been nice to travel to a bunch of different places, and see more of the area.

Is there a baseball player who you try to model your own style of play after?

I’d say Cal Ripken, Jr. I’m reading a book about him now. He’s just a really calm, respectable guy. He plays hard, comes out every day, and gives 100%. I’ve always liked him.

What’s currently in your CD or MP3 player?

Red Hot Chili Peppers. I always go back to them if I can’t think of anything else. They’re great.

Favorite female celebrity?

I’d say… let’s see. There’s a lot of them. Probably Jessica Alba.

Sounds good to me.

It’s game 3 of the NECBL championship series, and you’re trailing by one run in the ninth inning. The bases are loaded with two outs. Excluding yourself, who do you most trust to be up at the plate in that situation?

I trust everyone on the team. Everyone’s been hitting well, so I trust all these guys. They’re fun guys to be around and they have great character. I think anyone would come through.

What’s been the best thing about playing in Lynn so far?

I’d say probably just the atmosphere around the team. Everyone’s meshed together really well so far. All of these guys are really cool and fun to play with.

If you could go study abroad for one semester anywhere in the world and study anything you want, where would you go and why?

Oh man. Probably the Alps, so I could go snowboarding and see the mountains. Anywhere in Europe really, France and Italy. I’d just want to study the history.

In ten years, if baseball doesn’t work out for you, what do you see yourself doing?

I’d like to stay in touch with baseball, so if I couldn’t play any more, I’d like to coach.

No comments:

Visitor map